African Chicken and Rice Casserole
(Jollof Rice - Ghana)
- 1 (2 1/2 to 3 pound) broiler-fryer chicken, cut up
- 2 (16 ounce) cans stewed tomatoes (with liquid)
- 2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup uncooked regular rice
- 1/4 pound fully cooked smoked ham, cubed (3/4 cup)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 3 cups coarsely shredded green cabbage;
- 8 ounces green beans*
- 2 onions, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Heat chicken, tomatoes, water, 2 teaspoons salt and pepper to boiling
in 5-quart Dutch oven; reduce heat. Cover and simmer 30 minutes.
- Remove chicken.
- Stir in rice, ham, cinnamon and red pepper.
- Add chicken, cabbage, green beans and onions.
- Sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon
salt. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer until thickest
pieces of chicken are done — 20 to 30 minutes longer.
Yields 8 servings.
* 1 (10 ounce) package frozen French-style green beans, thawed,
can be substituted.