Liberian Rice Bread
These are delicious to snack on anytime, or may be served as part
of an African meal. In a pinch, substitute under-ripe bananas for
the plaintains. The bread also can be baked in a disposable 11 1/2
x 9-inch foil roaster pan.
- 1 (14 ounce) box Cream of Rice cereal
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 plantains, mashed or chopped in the blender
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9 x 13-inch pan with nonstick
- Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- In a smaller bowl, mix
eggs, oil, vanilla extract and mashed plantains. Add milk and combine.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix well. Transfer to
- Bake about 30 to 45 minutes or until done. The pan size will make
a difference in the timing.
Makes about 12 servings.
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> African Recipes