African Beef and Rice
(Moui Nagden — North Africa)
- 1 pound beef round steak, 1/2 inch thick
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup water
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 (16 ounce) can red kidney beans, drained
- 1 cup uncooked regular rice
- 2 medium green bell peppers, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Cut beef into 1-inch pieces. Heat oil in 10-inch skillet until hot.
Cook and stir beef in oil over medium heat until brown on all sides,
about 15 minutes.
- Add water, bay leaf, 1 teaspoon salt and the red pepper. Heat to
boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer 45 minutes.
- Drain beef, reserving broth
- Add enough water to reserved broth
to measure 2 cups.
- Mix beef, broth and remaining ingredients.
into ungreased 2-quart casserole. Cover and bake at 350 degrees
F until liquid is absorbed — 45 to 50 minutes.
- Serve with sliced tomatoes.
Yields 6 servings.