African Beef and Vegetable Soup
(Nkrakra — Ghana)
- 1 (1 1/2 pound) beef boneless chuck, tip or round, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds Hubbard squash, pared and cut into 1-inch cubes*
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen baby lima beans
- Heat beef, water, salt,
ginger and red pepper to boiling in Dutch oven; reduce heat. Cover
and simmer 1 1/2 hours.
- Add squash; cover and cook until
beef and squash are tender, 30 to 45 minutes longer.
- Remove squash; mash or puree in blender. Return squash to Dutch oven.
- Add tomatoes and beans. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer
until beans are tender — about 15 minutes.
- Top each serving with hot cooked rice, if desired.
Yields 6 servings.
* 1 (12 ounce) package frozen cooked squash, thawed, can be
substituted for the fresh squash. Add it with the tomatoes.
Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> African Recipes