African Beef and Vegetable Soup
(Nkrakra — Ghana)
- 1 (1 1/2 pound) beef boneless chuck, tip or round, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds Hubbard squash, pared and cut into 1-inch cubes*
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen baby lima beans
- Heat beef, water, salt,
ginger and red pepper to boiling in Dutch oven; reduce heat. Cover
and simmer 1 1/2 hours.
- Add squash; cover and cook until
beef and squash are tender, 30 to 45 minutes longer.
- Remove squash; mash or puree in blender. Return squash to Dutch oven.
- Add tomatoes and beans. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer
until beans are tender — about 15 minutes.
- Top each serving with hot cooked rice, if desired.
Yields 6 servings.
* 1 (12 ounce) package frozen cooked squash, thawed, can be
substituted for the fresh squash. Add it with the tomatoes.
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> African Recipes