North African Coriander Bread
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 envelopes active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup very warm water
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar or honey
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon grated orange rind
- 7 cups unbleached white flour
- Heat milk, butter and honey until butter just melts. Cool to lukewarm.
- Sprinkle yeast over warm water mixed with sugar or honey. Let
stand 10 minutes until bubbly.
- In large bowl, add eggs, salt
and spices to 3 cups flour. Stir milk mixture into yeast; then stir
both into flour-spice mixture. Beat 200 strokes.
- Add 3 1/4 to 4
cups flour until dough holds together and pulls away from side of
bowl. Knead dough 10 minutes on a floured surface until dough is
soft, yet elastic.
- Place in lightly greased bowl, cover and let rise for 1 hour.
- Punch dough down, knead lightly and divide into
2 loaves. Place in bread pans or form smooth, round balls on floured
cookie tin. Let rise 1 hour until almost doubled.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 45 minutes or until loaves sound hollow when tapped.
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> African Recipes