South African Raisin Rice
- 1 cup rice
- 2 1/4 cups boiling water
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 1 (1-inch long) cinnamon stick
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 seedless raisins
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- Sprinkle rice into rapidly boiling water.
- Add lemon rind, cinnamon stick, turmeric
and salt. Cover and boil slowly 20 minutes.
- Turn off heat and let sit for about 15 minutes to absorb all water.
- Add raisins, butter and sugar, mixing well.
If this is being used to stuff chicken, boil rice about 15 minutes.