African Vegetable Stew
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup minced parsley
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 5 cups water
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1/2 cup dried lentils
- 1 cup uncooked regular rice
- 1 (16 ounce) can whole tomatoes, undrained
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen green peas
- 3 sprigs fresh mint, snipped
- Plain yogurt
- Cook and stir onion, parsley, garlic, cinnamon, turmeric, pepper and ginger in
butter in Dutch oven until onion is tender.
- Stir in water, carrots and lentils. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and cook
- Add rice, tomatoes and salt. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and cook 20
- Stir in peas, green beans and mint. Heat to boiling; reduce heat.
Cover and cook until peas and beans are tender, about 5 minutes.
- Serve with a dollop of yogurt.
Yields 6 to 8 servings.
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> African Recipes