Asian Shrimp Soup
This earthy Asian soup is perfect to warm you up on a cold day and canola oil's
light taste wont interfere with the soups layered flavors. Add red pepper flakes
if you like more heat!
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 celery
- 1 tablespoon canola oil 15 mL
- 1-2 tablespoons red curry paste
- 1 tablespoon low sodium soy sauce 15 mL
- 8 cups low sodium chicken
broth 2 L
- 1 cup Shiitake mushrooms 250 mL
- 2 cups chopped Chinese cabbage 500
- 2 tablespoons finely grated fresh ginger 30 mL
- 12 medium shrimp, peeled
- 2 green onions, sliced (for garnish)
- In saucepan, sauté garlic, onion, carrot and celery in canola oil over medium-high
heat for about 3 minutes.
- Stir in curry paste, soy sauce, chicken broth and bring to boil over high heat.
- Add Shiitake mushrooms, Chinese cabbage and ginger. Cook for 3 minutes and add
shrimp. Cover and cook until shrimp turn pink, about 2-3 minutes.
- Serve in soup bowls and garnish with green onion.
Source: Julie DesGroseilliers, Dt.P. | Diabetes-Friendly, Heart-Smart,
Recipe and photograph courtesy of CanolaInfo.org.