Beef with Black Bean Sauce (China)
- 1 (1 1/2 pound) beef rump steak
- 2 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 3 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 egg white
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fermented, salted black beans
- 1/4 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 scallions, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and cut into thin slices
- 1/2 cup drained sliced bamboo shoots (1/2 of 8 ounce can)
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- Cut meat across the grain into thin slices 2 inches long.
- Combine soy sauce, sherry, 1 teaspoon of the cornstarch and the egg white in
medium glass or plastic bowl; beat lightly with fork.
- Mix in meat. Let stand 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Combine 1/3 cup of the water and the beans in small bowl. Let stand 15 minutes.
- Drain beans, reserving 1 teaspoon of the water. Combine beans, the reserved water
and the sugar on small plate. Mash well with fork.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in wok over high heat. Add onions, pepper, bamboo
shoots and curry powder. Stir fry until vegetables are crisp-tender, 2 minutes.
Remove mixture from wok.
- Add remaining 2 tablespoons oil to wok. Add meat and marinade. Stir fry until
meat is brown, about 5 minutes.
- Add vegetables and bean mixture to meat; mix well.
- Combine remaining 1/3 cup water and 2 teaspoons cornstarch. Pour over meat-vegetable
mixture. Cook and stir until liquid boils and thickens.
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.