Beef with Black Bean Sauce (China)
- 1 (1 1/2 pound) beef rump steak
- 2 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 3 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 egg white
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fermented, salted black beans
- 1/4 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 scallions, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and cut into thin slices
- 1/2 cup drained sliced bamboo shoots (1/2 of 8 ounce can)
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- Cut meat across the grain into thin slices 2 inches long.
- Combine soy sauce, sherry, 1 teaspoon of the cornstarch and the egg white in
medium glass or plastic bowl; beat lightly with fork.
- Mix in meat. Let stand 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Combine 1/3 cup of the water and the beans in small bowl. Let stand 15 minutes.
- Drain beans, reserving 1 teaspoon of the water. Combine beans, the reserved water
and the sugar on small plate. Mash well with fork.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in wok over high heat. Add onions, pepper, bamboo
shoots and curry powder. Stir fry until vegetables are crisp-tender, 2 minutes.
Remove mixture from wok.
- Add remaining 2 tablespoons oil to wok. Add meat and marinade. Stir fry until
meat is brown, about 5 minutes.
- Add vegetables and bean mixture to meat; mix well.
- Combine remaining 1/3 cup water and 2 teaspoons cornstarch. Pour over meat-vegetable
mixture. Cook and stir until liquid boils and thickens.