Beef with Cashews (China)
- 1 (1 pound) beef rump steak
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 8 scallions
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 (1-inch square) piece fresh ginger root
- 2/3 cup unsalted roasted cashews
- 1/2 cup water
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 4 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon oyster sauce
- 1 teaspoon Chinese chili sauce
- Remove and discard fat from meat. Cut meat across the grain into thin slices
about 2 inches long.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the vegetable oil in wok over high heat. Stir fry half
of the meat in oil until brown, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Remove from wok. Cook remaining meat and remove from wok.
- Cut scallions into 1-inch pieces.
- Crush garlic.
- Pare ginger and chop finely.
- Heat remaining 2 tablespoons vegetable oil in wok over high heat. Add onions,
garlic, ginger and cashews. Stir fry 1 minute.
- Mix meat into cashew-vegetable mixture.
- Combine all remaining ingredients and pour over meat mixture. Cook and stir until
liquid boils and thickens.
Makes 4 servings.