Beef with Celery (China)
- 1 (1 pound) round steak
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 egg white
- 4 to 6 stalks celery
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 6 scallions, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped, pared fresh ginger root
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 1/2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons oyster sauce
- Cut meat across the grain into thin strips 1 1/2 inches long.
- Combine 1/2 tablespoon of the soy sauce, vinegar and egg white in
medium bowl; beat lightly with fork until foamy. Mix in meat. Cover
and let stand 2 hours.
- Cut celery into 1/2-inch diagonal slices.
- Combine celery, 1 cup of the water and the salt in saucepan. Cook
over medium-high heat until boiling. Boil 3 minutes.
- Drain celery.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in wok over high heat.
- Drain meat
and add to wok. Stir fry until meat is brown, about 5 minutes. Remove
meat from wok. Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil to wok. Add celery,
onions, ginger and garlic. Stir fry 1 minute. Return meat to wok;
- Combine remaining 1/2 cup water, 1 1/2 tablespoons
soy sauce, the sherry, cornstarch and oyster sauce. Pour over meat-vegetable
mixture. Cook and stir until liquid boils and thickens.
Makes 4 servings.
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.