Beef Chow Mein (China)
- 1 (1 1/2 pound) beef rump steak
- 3 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 1/2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 1 tablespoon satay sauce
- 3 stalks celery
- 2 medium yellow onions
- 4 ounces fresh mushrooms
- 1 red or green bell pepper
- 4 ounces bean sprouts
- 12 ounces Chinese egg noodles
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 1/2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 2 teaspoons instant chicken bouillon
- Remove and discard fat from meat.
Cut meat across the grain into thin slices.
- Combine 1 1/2 tablespoons
of the soy sauce, 1 tablespoon of the sherry and the satay sauce
in glass bowl. Mix in meat. Cover and let stand 1 hour.
- Cut celery into 1/2-inch diagonal slices.
- Peel onions, cut into wedges and separate layers.
- Clean and slice mushrooms.
- Remove seeds from pepper and cut pepper into thin strips.
- Rinse sprouts and drain.
- Cook noodles until tender according to package directions. Drain
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in wok over medium-high heat.
Add noodles and 1 tablespoon of the remaining soy sauce. Stir fry
until noodles are light brown, 2 minutes.
- Place noodles on serving plate; keep warm.
- Blend water, cornstarch, oyster sauce,
bouillon, remaining 2 1/2 tablespoons sherry and 1 tablespoon soy
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the remaining oil in wok over high heat.
Stir fry onions in oil for 1 minute.
- Add celery, mushrooms, pepper and sprouts. Stir fry 2 minutes.
- Remove vegetables from wok.
- Heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil in wok over high heat. Add
meat and stir fry until meat is brown, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in water mixture. Cover and cook 3 minutes.
- Return vegetables to wok. Cook and stir until hot throughout, 1 to 2 minutes longer.
- Spoon mixture over noodles.
Makes 4 to 6 servings.
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.