Beef Sate with Spicy Szechwan Sauce
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 6 tablespoons (3 ounces) unsalted butter
- 2 blanched garlic cloves, chopped fine (about 1 tablespoon)
- 1 green onion, chopped fine
- 1 cup chicken stock
cup soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon chili flakes
- 3/4 pound trimmed New York of filet steak
- Marinade: In a small bowl, combine all the marinade ingredients.
- Szechwan Sauce: In a small skillet,
melt 2 tablespoons butter. Add the garlic and green onion and sauté
over medium-high until soft, about 2 minutes.
- Pour in the
stock, soy sauce and chili pepper flakes, and cook 1 or 2 minutes
- Strain into a clean pan and whisk in the remaining
4 tablespoons butter.
- Serve warm.
- Beef: Cut the steak
into 24, 3 x 1-inch strips, each weighing about 1/2 ounce. Using
24, 6-inch bamboo skewers, stick a skewer into each strip lengthwise
and arrange on a large platter or baking pan. Refrigerate until
- Pour marinade over the meat, turning to coat all
sides. Let marinate, unrefrigerated, about 15 minutes.
the grill or broiler while the steak is marinating.
the skewers of steak on the grill or under the broiler* being careful
that the bare ends of the skewers are not directly over (or under)
the flame. Grill until medium rare, about 30 to 40 seconds on each
side. Bring your broiler tray directly under the flame for best
- Presentation: Pour the sauce into a small bowl and set in the center
of a large serving platter. Arrange the skewers around the bowl and
Makes 24 skewers.
Posted by Darlene at Recipe Goldmine 1/15/2002 8:42 pm.