Braised Beef, Shanxi Style
- 1 pound (400g) lean boneless beef
- 1/2 g fennel seed
- 10 teaspoons (50ml) soy sauce
- 3 1/2 ounces (100ml) chicken or duck broth
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch (corn flour), dissolved in 4 tablespoon water
- 2 teaspoons rice wine
- 3 ounces (100g) scallions, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ginger, chopped
- 3 1/2 fluid ounces (100ml) sesame oil
- 1/4 teaspoon MSG (optional)
- Wash the beef and cut into thin slices. Mix with the soy sauce and scallions.
- Stir the cornstarch-water mixture and add.
- Heat the sesame oil in a work add the fennel seeds. Heat to very hot or until the
oil starts to smoke, and add the beef. Stir-fry until barely cooked.
- Add the stock, rice wine and MSG (optional). Cover the wok, and
boil rapidly for 1 minute.
- Add the ginger, stir and remove.
Posted by WingsFan91 at Recipe Goldmine 9/5/2001 8:24 am.