Broccoli Beef with Oyster Sauce
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1/8 teaspoon white or black pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 medium yellow onion, peeled and sliced
- 1 cup peeled and thinly sliced carrot (optional)
- 1 pound broccoli, cut into florets*
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch, dissolved in 3 tablespoons cold water
- Prepare everything and have ready as stir fry goes fast!
- In a medium bowl, combine light soy, garlic, pepper, oil, and the 1 tablespoon cornstarch until smooth.
- Add flank steak to marinade, mix well, and let stand for 10 minutes while you prepare the vegetables.
- Set a large wok over high heat. When the wok is hot, add the oil. Quickly add the steak and cook until beef is browned and aromatic, about 1
- Add the onion and brown for about 1 minute.
- Quickly add carrot, broccoli florets and chicken broth. Immediately cover the wok, keeping heat on high.
- In a small bowl, measure oyster sauce, sugar, pepper and sesame oil with a spoon. In about 2 minutes when you can smell the beef and broccoli
that the Chinese call “wok hay” (wok air), open the wok lid, and stir in the sauce mixture.
- Stir the cornstarch paste and pour into the wok, stirring until the sauce is thickened, about 10 seconds.
- Serve on a platter with rice or noodles (optional).
* Add an additional 1 cup broccoli florets if omitting carrots.
Photo credit: ImipolexG on VisualHunt.com