Candied Banana Fritters
A delicious Chinese dessert!
- 5 bananas
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 7 tablespoons granulated
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1 to 2 teaspoons sesame seeds
or black sesame seeds
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 6 tablespoons cold water (or enough
water to make a thin batter)
- 6 cups oil for deep-frying (or
less if desired)
- Mix together the sugar and water. Set aside.
- Beat the egg in a bowl. Add the cornstarch, flour, and water,
and blend well.
- Cut a banana on the diagonal into 5 pieces.
Sprinkle some added flour onto it and coat the pieces in the flour
batter using your fingers. Repeat for each banana.
- Heat wok
and add oil for deep-frying. When oil is hot, drop the bananas into
the hot oil and add a few pieces at a time, turning them once, until
they are golden brown. Remove and drain on paper towels.
- Heat frying pan and add 1 tablespoon of oil. Quickly re-stir the
sugar and water mixture, and add to the frying pan. Stir the mixture
on low heat until the sugar dissolves and turns into a syrup. Turn
off the heat and add the bananas. Mix carefully and serve immediately.
Sprinkle sesame seeds over the bananas just before serving.