Chicken Bokeumtang (Spicy Korean Chicken)
- 1 (4 pound) whole chicken, cut into 11 pieces with bone in and skin on
- 1 pound potatoes, peel, halved or quartered
- 3-4 carrots, peeled, cut into large chunks
- 2 onions, cut into large chunks
- 8 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3 tablespoons Gochujang, Korean red pepper paste
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Gochugaru, Korean red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 tablespoon honey or sugar
- 2 tablespoons rice wine
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds, plus more for garnish
- 4 green onions, sliced into 2-inch pieces
- Bring enough water to boil to blanch chicken in a large Dutch oven; add
chicken into boiling water, bring back to boil, about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Drain chicken into a strainer and rinse pot quickly. Rinse chicken under
cold water and place back to pot.
- Add potato, carrot, onion and garlic to Dutch oven.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine gochujang and next 6 ingredients. Add
combined sauce into pot and toss everything together until chicken and
vegetables are evenly coated with sauce. Cover, bring it to boil over medium
high heat. Stirring frequently.
- When it starts boil, reduce heat to medium and simmer for 40 minutes,
stirring frequently for first 20 minutes of simmering to prevent burn bottom
- Stir in green onion and remove from heat.
- Transfer to a serving plate, garnish with some more sesame seeds.
- Serve with warm cooked rice, kimchi and other your favorite side dishes!
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.