Chicken with Mangoes
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 3/4 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 whole chicken breasts
- 1 (2 x 1-inch) piece fresh ginger root
- 8 scallions
- 1 (15 ounce) can mangoes
- 3 cups vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons white vinegar
- 3 tablespoons dry sherry
- 4 teaspoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons instant chicken bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- Combine flour, 1 cup of the water, the salt and baking powder. Beat with
whisk until blended. Let stand 15 minutes.
- Remove skin and bones
from chicken and discard. Cut chicken into 1/4-inch wide strips.
Mix strips into flour mixture.
- Pare ginger and cut into wafer-thin slices.
- Cut onions into 1/2-inch pieces.
- Drain mangoes and cut into 1/2-inch wide strips.
- Heat vegetable oil in wok over high heat until
it reaches 375 degrees F. Add chicken, one strip at a time, to hot
oil (cook only 1/4 of the chicken at a time). Cook until golden,
3 to 5 minutes. Drain on absorbent paper. Repeat to cook remaining
- Remove all but 1 tablespoon oil from wok. Reduce
heat to medium. Add ginger to oil in wok. Stir fry until ginger
is light brown, about 2 minutes.
- Combine remaining 3/4 cup water,
the vinegar, sherry, soy sauce, sugar, cornstarch, bouillon and
sesame oil. Carefully add to ginger all at once. Cook and stir until
- Add onions. Reduce heat and simmer 3 minutes.
- Mix chicken and mangoes into soy sauce mixture. Cook and stir
- Serve immediately.
Makes 4 to 6 servings.
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.