Chicken with Walnuts in Plum Sauce
- 1 cup walnut halves
- 1 teaspoon beaten egg
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 6 chicken thighs (1 1/2 pounds), boned, skinned and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup oil
- 2 teaspoons plum or hoisin sauce
- 1 (1-inch) piece ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 green onions, finely chopped (garnish)
- Pour boiling water over walnuts and let stand 5
minutes. Drain and pat dry.
- Combine egg with 1 teaspoon oil
and cornstarch in small bowl. Add chicken pieces and toss gently
to coat them evenly.
- Heat 1/2 cup oil in wok over medium high heat until haze forms.
- Add walnuts and fry until golden about
45 seconds. Remove with slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
- Add chicken to wok and cook until golden, about 3 minutes. Drain
- Pour off all but thin film of oil. Return pan to heat, add
plum or hoisin sauce, ginger, sugar, soy sauce and sesame oil and
stir until combined. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring constantly
until sauce begins to glisten, about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add chicken and walnuts and mix thoroughly with sauce.
- Transfer to heated
serving platter and garnish with chopped green onions.
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.