Chinese Candied Apples
- 3 to 4 ripe apples
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 egg white, tightly beaten
- Oil for frying
- 1 to 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- Ice water
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon lard
- Peel and core apples and cut into wedges.
- Place flour in plastic
bags, add apple wedges. Close top of bag and shake to coat apples
well. Remove apples and mix remaining flour with cornstarch and
egg white to make a thick batter; adding a little cold water as
- Heat oil until almost smoking and add the sesame oil.
- Dip each piece of apple into batter and deep fry in several batches
until golden, turning once or twice. Drain well.
- Spread sesame oil over a serving plate and pour ice water into a bowl.
- Drain wok and
add toffee ingredients. Cook over medium heat without stirring until
sugar is caramel color, then take off heat.
- Dip each piece of apple into toffee mix and place on plate.
- Dip into ice water before eating.
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.