Chinese Glazed Fruit
- 3/4 cup cold water
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Peanut or vegetable oil
- 2 medium apples, pared and cut into eighths
- 2 firm medium bananas, cut diagonally into 1/2-inch slices
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1/4 cup white or black sesame seed
- Iced water
- Beat 3/4 cup water, the
flour, cornstarch, baking powder and salt with hand beater until
- Heat 1 to 1 1/2 inches oil to 360 degrees F. Stir apples
into batter until coated. Remove 1 piece at a time with slotted
spoon, letting excess batter drip into bowl. Fry 6 to 8 pieces at
a time, turning occasionally, until golden brown, about 5 minutes;
drain. Repeat with bananas.
- Thoroughly mix sugar, 1 cup water
and the corn syrup in heavy 3-quart saucepan. Heat to boiling, without
stirring, over high heat. Cook, without stirring, over high heat
to 300 degrees F on candy thermometer or until small amount of mixture
dropped into very cold water separates into threads that are hard
and brittle (mixture will be light golden brown).
- Decrease heat to very low; stir in sesame seed.
- Generously oil large flat
serving plate. Stir 1 piece of fruit at a time into syrup until
evenly coated. Immediately remove from syrup and place on oiled
plate. Do not let pieces touch. At the table, dip each piece of
fruit into iced water to harden coating.
Yield: 6 servings
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.