Chinese Pot Stickers
Make authentic Chinese Pot Stickers at home!
- 1 1/2 pound ground pork
- 6 tablespoon soy sauce
- 6 scallions, minced
- 2 tablespoons dried shrimp, soaked and minced (optional)
- 3 tablespoons shrimp water (optional)
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 egg
- 1 to 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 to 1 1/2 pounds Chinese cabbage
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups water
Cooking and Serving
- Peanut oil
- 1/2 cup water
- Chinese hot oil (chili oil)
- Soy sauce
- Fresh cilantro, chopped
- Meat Filling: Mix together well the pork, soy sauce, scallions, dried shrimp, shrimp water, sesame oil, peanut oil, ginger, egg and garlic. Set aside.
- Core cabbage and chop it finely. Cover cabbage with the salt and let sit for 1 hour. Press out the water and add the cabbage to the meat mixture. Set mixture aside until ready to assemble pot stickers.
- Pastry: Mix flour and water. Keep it rather soft for ease in handling. Let it rest for 10 minutes. Cut or pull off walnut-size balls and roll each one out to the size of a 3-inch circle. The edges of the dough should be thinner than the middle. Fill each round with approximately 1 teaspoon of meat filling. Pinch together in the shape of a half
- Cooking and Serving: Heat about 2 tablespoons of peanut oil in a skillet
and stand the pot stickers up close together in the skillet with the seam side up. Sauté over medium heat for 2 to 3 minutes. Do
not allow them to burn. Add 1/2 cup water, cover, and steam for 20 minutes.
- Serve immediately with vinegar, Chinese hot oil, soy sauce and cilantro.