Chinese Sweet and Sour Meatloaf
- 2/3 cup ketchup
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup vinegar
- 2 tablespoons FINELY
- 4 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- 1 pound ground beef
- 3/4 pound ground pork (approximation)
- 1/3 cup finely chopped green onion(white
and green parts)
- 3/4 cup bread crumbs
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons
rice wine or any dry white wine
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black
- Mix all sauce ingredients thoroughly. Set aside to
allow flavors to marry.
- Next, combine all meat loaf ingredients except cornstarch. Take 1 cup of sauce AND mix it into meat. Follow
this step with evenly sprinkling cornstarch over meat and thoroughly
mixing it in.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place meat
in loaf pan and pack it down. Bake covered with foil for about 30
minutes. During last 10 minutes of initial 30-minute baking cycle,
remove meat loaf from oven, drain fat and slice into several serving-size
slices. Pour about 1/2 cup of sauce over meat, making sure some
of sauce runs down into cracks. Bake uncovered for about 15 more
- Meanwhile, if you want, you can heat and thicken
leftover sauce with about 1 teaspoon cornstarch and an equal amount
of water. As sauce starts to thicken, you can add about 2 teaspoons
hot oil to sauce.
This recipe makes a lot of sauce, so leftover
heated sauce can be spooned over individual meatloaf servings if
If you want a browner meatloaf, bake covered
for about 20 minutes and uncovered for 15 to 20 minutes. Then drain
fat, slice meatloaf and pour sauce over it.
Posted by Cookin' Dad at Recipe Goldmine May 23, 2001.