Crisp Wontons (Cha Yun T'un)
- 1/2 pound ground pork
- 1 (4 1/2 ounce) can shrimp, drained and chopped
- 6 water chestnuts, minced
- 2 scallions, with tops, chopped
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound wonton skins*
- Vegetable oil
- Sweet and Sour Sauce or Hot Mustard Sauce
- Stir-fry pork in wok
or 10-inch skillet until brown; drain. Stir in shrimp, water chestnuts,
scallions, soy sauce, cornstarch and salt. Stir-fry 1 minute.
1 teaspoon filling on center of each wonton skin. Moisten edges
with water. Fold each skin in half to form triangle; press edges
to seal. Pull bottom corners of triangle down and overlap slightly.
Moisten one corner with water; press to seal.
- Heat 1 to 1 1/2 inches
of oil to 360 degrees F. Fry 6 to 8 wontons at a time until golden
brown, turning occasionally, about 2 minutes; drain.
- Serve with Sweet and Sour Sauce or Hot Mustard Sauce.
Makes about 48 wontons.
* 12 to 14 egg roll skins can be substituted for the wonton skins; cut each skin into quarters.