This post may contain affiliate links. Please see our
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup vegetable shortening or lard
- 4 to 6 tablespoons hot tap water
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- Combine flour
and 1/2 teaspoon of the salt in mixing bowl. Cut in shortening until
mixture resembles bread crumbs. Mix in enough water to form a dough
that sticks together.
- Shape dough into ball. Cut in half. Roll out
each half on lightly floured surface until 1/8-inch thick. Cut 12
circles from each half using fluted cookie cutter 3 inches in diameter.
Fit pastry circles into greased muffin cups, pressing sides so they
- Beat eggs with whisk. Stir in sugar and remaining
1/2 teaspoon salt. Gradually blend in milk. Spoon about 2 tablespoons
egg mixture into each pastry.
- Bake in preheated 350 degrees F oven
until knife inserted in center of custards comes out clean, 25 to
- Remove tarts from pans. Cool on wire racks.