- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup vegetable shortening or lard
- 4 to 6 tablespoons hot tap water
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- Combine flour
and 1/2 teaspoon of the salt in mixing bowl. Cut in shortening until
mixture resembles bread crumbs. Mix in enough water to form a dough
that sticks together.
- Shape dough into ball. Cut in half. Roll out
each half on lightly floured surface until 1/8-inch thick. Cut 12
circles from each half using fluted cookie cutter 3 inches in diameter.
Fit pastry circles into greased muffin cups, pressing sides so they
- Beat eggs with whisk. Stir in sugar and remaining
1/2 teaspoon salt. Gradually blend in milk. Spoon about 2 tablespoons
egg mixture into each pastry.
- Bake in preheated 350 degrees F oven
until knife inserted in center of custards comes out clean, 25 to
- Remove tarts from pans. Cool on wire racks.
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.