Egg Drop Soup (Tan Hua T'ang)
Egg Drop Soup is a Chinese soup of wispy beaten eggs in boiled chicken broth.
- 4 cups fresh or canned chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly-grated ginger root (optional)
- White pepper, to taste
- 2 eggs
- 1 scallion (green onion, spring onion) green and white part, very thinly sliced
- Bring the chicken broth to a boil over moderate heat.
- Mix the cornstarch with the water and
stir it into the broth. Add the soy sauce, optional ginger, and
pepper. Return the soup to a boil and remove from heat.
- Beat the eggs slightly, so that they are broken up but the yolks and the
whites are not completely mixed together. Slowly pour the eggs into
the soup while gently stirring to form long threads of the eggs.
- Divide the scallion slices between the individual serving bowls
and ladle the soup over them.
Serves 4 to 6.
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.