Egg Rolls (Chi Tan Chuan)
Serve these with two dipping sauces, one sweet and one hot.
- 1 pound ground pork
- 3 cups finely shredded green cabbage
- 1 (8 1/2 ounce) can bamboo shoots, drained and chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped mushrooms
- 4 scallions, sliced
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon five spice powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 pound egg roll skins (16 to 18)
- Vegetable oil
- Sweet and Sour Sauce
- Hot Mustard Sauce
- Stir-fry pork in wok or 10-inch skillet until brown. Remove
pork from wok; drain, reserving 2 tablespoons fat. Stir-fry cabbage,
bamboo shoots, mushrooms and scallions in reserved fat. Mix soy
sauce, cornstarch, five spice powder, salt and sugar; pour over
vegetable mixture. Stir-fry 1 minute; cool.
- Mix pork and vegetables. Cover egg roll skins with damp towel to prevent drying.
Place 1/4 cup pork mixture on center of each egg roll skin. Fold
one corner of egg roll skin over filling; overlap the two opposite
corners. Moisten fourth corner with water; fold over to make into roll.
- Heat 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 inches of oil to 360 degrees F.
Fry 3 to 5 egg rolls at a time until golden brown, turning once,
about 3 minutes; drain.
- Serve hot with Sweet and Sour Sauce and Hot Mustard Sauce.
Makes 16 to 18 egg rolls.
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.