Glutinous Rice Dough (Chinese)
- 2 1/4 cups glutinous rice flour
- 1/4 cup potato flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups boiling water
- 2 cups glutinous rice flour
- 1 1/2 sweet potatoes, cooked and mashed (about 1 1/4 pound)
- 1 cup brown sugar, lightly packed
- 1/4 cup water
- To make wrapper: Bring a pot of water to a rolling boil for
- Meanwhile, combine the first 4 ingredients
. Now, measure the amount of water needed and return that to a boil
and immediately pour the boiling water over the dry ingredients. Mix well and knead on floured board for 3 or 4 minutes.
- To make wrapper: Mix the first 2 ingredients in a bowl. Dissolve brown sugar
in water and bring to a rolling boil. Immediately add water to flour
mixture and stir until dough is firm. Knead lightly for a few minutes
until dough is well mixed.
Yields 2 1/2 to 3 dozen wrappers.
This dough is usually
deep fried with meat or sweet fillings. The texture is most interesting
because the wrappers become soft and chewy on the inside and crunchy
and crispy on the outside.
Dim Sum by Rhoda Fong Yee