Healthy Chinese Orange Chicken
- 3 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast,
cut into pieces
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger root
- 1 teaspoon minced
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne or red pepper flakes
- 1 cup sliced
green onions or scallions
- 1 tablespoon sake (rice wine)
- 1/2 tablespoon
toasted sesame oil
- 3 tablespoons
- Juice of 1 fresh orange (or about 3 tablespoons orange
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white wine vinegar
zest from 1 orange
- 1 tablespoon
- 1 tablespoon water
- Mix together ingredients for
Orange Sauce. Set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of cooking oil in
a wok over high heat. Add minced ginger and garlic, stirring about 30
seconds. Add chicken to wok and cook.
- Add the dried red chiles
and chopped green onion. Sauté again, then pour in the rice wine. Add
orange sauce to wok and stir well.
- Make a slurry with cornstarch
and water and mix until smooth. Add to wok and stir until the orange
- Before serving, stir in sesame oil and grated orange
- Serve over steamed rice.