Honey Walnut Shrimp
- 1/2 cup chopped walnut pieces
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 pound medium to large shrimp
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 1/2 tablespoons honey
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 3 3/4 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons coconut milk
- 3 cups oil for deep-frying
- Earlier in the day, boil the walnut pieces for 5 minutes. Drain
- Spread the sugar on a piece of wax paper. Roll the walnut pieces
in the sugar and allow to dry.
- Peel and devein the shrimp. Wash and pat dry with paper towels.
- Heat oil in a wok to 375 degrees F.
- Meanwhile, mix the egg with the cornstarch to form a batter. Dip
the shrimp into the egg batter. Deep-fry the shrimp until they turn
golden brown. Remove from the wok with a slotted spoon and drain
on paper towels. Cool.
- Combine honey, mayonnaise, lemon juice and coconut milk. Mix in
with the shrimp.
- Serve on a platter with the sugared walnuts arranged around the
Serves 2 as a main dish. Recipe may be doubled to serve 4.