Honeyed Chicken and Pineapple (China)
- 1 (3 pound) broiler-fryer chicken
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons grated, pared fresh ginger root
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 (20 ounce) can pineapple chunks, drained
- 1 red or green bell pepper, seeded and cut into thin slices
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 1/2 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon instant chicken bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 4 scallions, cut into thin slices
- Remove giblets from chicken. Rinse chicken and cut
into serving-size pieces. Coat chicken pieces with 1/2 cup cornstarch.
- Heat oil in wok over high heat until it reaches 375 degrees
F. Add chicken pieces, one at a time, to hot oil (cook only 1/3
of the pieces at a time). Cook until golden and completely cooked.
about 5 minutes. Drain on absorbent paper. Repeat with remaining
- Pour all but 2 tablespoons of the oil out of wok.
Stir fry ginger and garlic in the oil over medium heat 1 minute.
Add drained pineapple and the sliced pepper to ginger mixture. Stir
fry over high heat 2 minutes. Remove from wok.
- Mix water
and remaining 2 teaspoons cornstarch. Blend in honey, bouillon and
sesame oil. Pour mixture into wok. Cook and stir over high heat
until mixture boils and thickens. Return chicken and pineapple-pepper
mixture to wok. Cook and stir over high heat until hot throughout.
Add scallions. Cook and stir 1 minute longer.
Makes 4 servings.
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.