Hot and Sour Soup (Chinese)
- 6 cups fresh or canned chicken stock
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced bok choy or Napa cabbage
- 1 cup thinly sliced shiitake, cloud ear, or other mushrooms
- 3 scallions (green onions, spring onions), green and white parts, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce, or to taste
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped ginger root
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- 6 to 8 ounces firm tofu, cut into thin strips
- 3/4 cup white vinegar, or to taste
- 2 teaspoons freshly-ground black pepper, or to taste
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten, or equivalent amount egg substitute
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- Bring the broth to a boil in a large saucepan and add the bok choy or cabbage,
mushrooms, scallions, soy sauce, and ginger root.
- Combine the cornstarch and water in a small bowl and stir into the broth
when it returns to the boil. Boil for 3 minutes.
- Add the tofu, vinegar, and pepper. Taste and adjust seasoning. Reduce the
heat to a simmer and slowly drizzle the beaten eggs into the soup,
- Remove from the heat, add the sesame oil, and serve immediately.
Serves 6 to 8.
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.