Hot and Sweet Shanghai Chicken
- Cooking spray
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast or chicken breast tenders, with tendons removed, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 egg white
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 to 2 dried red chile peppers
- 1 cup bamboo shoots, sliced
- 1 cup carrot slices or julienne strips microwaved or blanched for 1 minute
- 1/2 cup sliced water chestnuts
- 1 green or red bell pepper, sliced into thin strips
- 3/4 cup sugar peas, washed and trimmed
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce*
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons sake* or dry sherry
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh ginger root, minced
- 1 teaspoon dark Oriental sesame oil
*These items can be found at your local Oriental market and are available in
the specialty food sections of most larger supermarkets.
- Combine chicken, egg white, cornstarch and salt together well and set aside;
prepare vegetables and set aside.
- Mix sauce ingredients together in a small bowl and set aside.
- Spray wok or large stick-resistant skillet with cooking spray and preheat over
medium-high for 2 minutes. Stir-fry chili peppers until pungent and brown; add chicken
mixture and stir-fry several minutes.
- Add vegetables to chicken, continuing to stir-fry another 60 seconds; add sauce
and stir-fry all ingredients together for 2 more minutes.
- Remove from heat and serve over rice or Sesame Noodles.
Yield: 4 servings
Approximately 185 calories; 4.5 grams total fat; 0.6 gram saturated fat;
42 milligrams cholesterol; 13.5 grams carbohydrate; 2.8 grams dietary fiber; 24.5
grams protein; 388 milligrams sodium
Posted by Chyrel at Recipe Goldmine 11/15/2001 9:30 am.
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Asian Recipes