Jin Dui (Chinese Sesame Balls)
- 6 ounces sweet potatoes
- 1 1/2 cups glutinous rice flour
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 10 ounces red bean paste
- 2/3 cup white sesame seeds
- Oil for frying
- Peel the sweet potatoes and place them in a pot, covered with water. Boil
them until tender, usually about 20 minutes after attaining the boil. Mash the sweet potatoes.
- Sift the glutinous rice flour
and the all-purpose flour together in a large mixing bowl. Blend
in the sugar and the mashed sweet potatoes. Knead the mixture until
thoroughly combined, sprinkling in the hot water as you knead.
- Knead the dough into small balls and then roll each ball into
a flat round shape. Spoon a bit of red bean paste into each flattened
round as a stuffing and knead the dough back into a round ball.
- Coat the cookie balls with cold water, then cover thoroughly
with the sesame seeds.
- Over moderate heat warm a pan of oil
that is deep enough to cover the cookies. Reduce the heat after
the oil is warmed, and deep-fry the cookies on a low heat setting,
until the balls have puffed up and are golden.
- Drain on paper toweling and serve.
Yield: about 3 dozen
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.