Kung Pao Chicken
This is a delicious Weight Watchers recipe.
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 1 garlic
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger root
- 5 ounces skinless chicken breasts,
- 1 teaspoon peanut or vegetable oil
- 2 to 3 mild, dried chile peppers
- 1 ounce unsalted shelled roasted peanuts
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cut into matchstick
- 1/4 cup diagonally-sliced scallions
- 1/4 cup canned, ready-to-serve
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- In a small glass or stainless steel mixing bowl, combine soy sauce, sherry, garlic
and ginger root; add chicken and turn to coat. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate
at least 30 minutes.
- In a nonstick skillet, heat oil; add chile peppers and cook over medium-high
heat, stirring frequently, until peppers are browned, about 1 minute. Remove and
discard peppers. Add peanuts and cook over medium-high heat, stirring frequently,
until nuts are lightly browned, about 1 minute. Transfer nuts to plate; set aside.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer chicken to same skillet, reserving marinade.
Cook chicken over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until browned on all sides
and cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer chicken to plate with peanuts; set
aside. Add bell pepper and scallions to skillet and cook over medium-high heat,
stirring frequently, until tender-crisp, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add broth and cornstarch to reserved marinade. Stir to dissolve cornstarch; add
to bell pepper-scallion mixture in skillet, with chicken and peanuts.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a boil and thickens, 2 to 3
Makes 2 servings.