Lotus Flowers (China)
- 1 pound raw shrimp, peeled, deveined and finely chopped
- 1 (6 ounce) can water chestnuts, drainednd finely chopped
- 2 scallions, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon Chinese wine or dry sherry
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated fresh ginger
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 egg white, beaten until stiff
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- Oil (for deep frying)
- Mix together the shrimp, water chestnuts, scallions, wine, ginger, salt and pepper. Fold in the beaten egg white and the cornstarch. Roll into balls the size of walnuts.
- Heat the oil in a wok or frying pan to a temperature of 350 degrees F and fry the balls a few at a time until golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Drain on paper towels and serve immediately.
Yield: 12 to 15 fritters