Ma Po Tofu (Ma Po Dofu)
A famous Szechuan recipe - the name Ma Po Tofu is roughly translated
as "pockmarked grandmother bean curd," named for the old
woman who supposedly invented the dish.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 3 cakes regular tofu (medium firmness)
- 1/4 pound ground pork
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon salted black beans
- 1 tablespoon chili paste
- 3 tablespoons stock (chicken broth)
- 1 leek or 3 green onions
- Freshly ground Szechuan pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoons tapioca starch
- 2 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- Oil for stir-frying
- Mix marinade ingredients . Marinate pork for about 20 minutes.
- Cut the bean curd into 1/2 inch (1 cm) square cubes, and blanch
(drop into boiling water) for 2 - 3 minutes. Remove from boiling
water and drain.
- Chop leeks or green onions into short lengths.
- Heat wok and add oil. When oil is ready, add the marinated pork.
Stir-fry pork until the color darkens. Add salt and stir. Add the
salted black beans. Mash the beans with a cooking ladle until they
blend in well with the meat. Add the chili paste, then the stock,
bean curd, and leek or green onions.
- Turn down the heat. Cook for 3 - 4 minutes.
- While cooking, mix cornstarch, water and soy sauce together. Add
to wok and stir gently.
- Serve with freshly ground Szechuan pepper.
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Asian Recipes