Grains such as rice signify abundance while pork is considered a symbol for progress.
- 1 cup short-grain, glutinous rice
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1/2 cup finely minced scallions with tops
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped ginger root
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- Soak rice in cold water for at least six hours or overnight.
in colander and allow to dry completely.
- Mix the other ingredients into the pork, and refrigerate for one hour.
- Form the pork into 1-inch
size balls and roll in the dry rice, making sure that as much rice
as possible adheres to the pork balls.
- Refrigerate the rice-coated
balls for at least one hour.
- Bring water to a rolling boil in a
steamer. Place as many balls in the steamer basket as it will hold
without allowing them to touch. Steam for 20-25 minutes.
- Serve warm with soy sauce for dipping.