Penang Rice Noodles
- 8 ounces (225g) dried rice noodles*
- 2 tablespoons peanut
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 4 green onions, cut diagonally
into 1-inch (2.5-cm) pieces
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped garlic
- 8 ounces Chinese greens such as bok choy (see
below) cut into 1-inch (2.5-cm) pieces
- 6 ounces (175g) fresh
Chinese yellow or green chives, or fresh chives,
cut into 1-inch (2.5-cm) pieces
- 1 tablespoon Shaoxing rice wine
(see below) or dry sherry
- 2 tablespoons light soy (see below)
- 2 tablespoons vegetarian
- Oyster-flavored sauce (see below) or
dark soy sauce (see below)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly
ground black pepper
- 6 ounces (175g) bean sprouts
- 2 teaspoons
* Dried Rice Noodles are opaque white and
come in a variety of shapes. One of the most common examples is
rice-stick noodles, which are flat and about the length of a chopstick.
They can also vary in thickness. Light soy sauce is light in color,
but it is full of flavor and is the better one to use for cooking.
It is saltier than dark soy sauce and is known in Chinese grocers
as Superior Soy. Vegetarian oyster-flavored sauce can be bought
in Chinese grocers and supermarkets. Despite its name, it does not
have a fishy taste. It is full of rich flavor and is used in cooking
and as a condiment, diluted with a little oil, for vegetables, poultry
- Soak the rice noodles in a bowl of warm water
for 2 minutes, then drain them in a colander or sieve.
- Heat a wok
or large skillet over a high heat until it is hot. Add the oil and,
when it is very hot and slightly smoking, add the onion, green onions,
garlic, Chinese greens, and Chinese chives. Stir-fry for 4 minutes.
- Then add the noodles, rice wine or sherry, light soy sauce, oyster
sauce or dark soy sauce, salt and pepper and continue to stir-fry
for 2 minutes.
- Add the bean sprouts and continue to cook for 2 minutes.
Finally, drizzle in the sesame oil and give the mixture a good stir.
- Serve at once.
Serves 2 as a main course or 4 as an accompaniment.
Posted by swm56 at Recipe Goldmine 6/11/01 10:22:40 am.