- 2 whole chicken breasts
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 3/4 cup vinegar
- 2 teaspoons dark soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons chili paste
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- Vegetable oil for the wok
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
- Remove bone and skin from chicken, cut into 2 x 1/2-inch strips. Mix with the
first 8 ingredients (egg through white pepper); stir in chicken. Cover and refrigerate
for 20 minutes.
- Mix 1/2 cup water and 1/4 cup cornstarch. Heat next ingredients (sugar through
garlic) until boiling. Stir in cornstarch mixture. Remove from heat; keep warm.
- Heat vegetable oil (about 1 1/2 inches deep) to 350 degrees F.
- Fry about 10 pieces of chicken, adding 1 at a time, 3 minutes or until light
brown. Remove from oil and drain on paper towels. Repeat until all chicken is done.
- Heat oil to 375 degrees F.
- Fry about 1/2 the chicken for 1 minute, or until golden brown. Remove from oil
and drain on towel. Repeat with remaining chicken. Heat sauce to boiling, pour over
chicken and sprinkle on sesame seeds.
Yield: 6 servings
These are good with Fun See Noodles. Cook noodles before you cook the chicken.
Source: Leeann Chin cookbook