Shao Ping (Sesame Buns)
- 1 cup sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sesame oil
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Spread sesame seeds on tray or baking sheet and set aside.
- In large mixing bowl, combine salt, sugar, flour and baking powder. Gradually add
water, stirring with wooden spoon to make a smooth dough. Mix
in sesame oil.
- Pour dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 5 minutes. Shape kneaded dough into a
long roll about 1 1/2 inches in diameter. Cut into 1 1/2-inch
sections, pat each piece into a little ball, and flatten to
about 1/2-inch thick. Moisten with a little water and press
wet side into sesame seeds. Coat thoroughly. Fry cakes, seed
side up, in a lightly greased skillet over medium heat for about
5 minutes but do not let them burn.
- Arrange fried cakes seed side up on a baking sheet and bake under preheated broiler
for about 4 to5 minutes. They are done when the sesame seeds
begin to turn brown and smell fragrant.
- Serve hot.
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.