Steamed Beijing Cake
- 4 large eggs
- 1/3 cup cold water
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- Separate the yolks from the whites.
Beat the whites until stiff. Beat the yolks with water and vanilla
- Blend the flour, baking powder and cinnamon. Add
sugar and sift.
- Spray the bottom and sides of an 8-inch round
cake pan with nonstick spray.
- In a large saucepot with a
rack, heat 2 quarts of water until it comes to a boil.
- Mix the flour mixture into the egg yolk mixture. Fold in the beaten
egg whites into the batter. Pour into the cake pan.
- Place the pan on the rack in the saucepot over the boiling water. Cover
and steam for 25 minutes or until a thin knife comes out clean.
- Remove the pan and place a plate over the pan and flip to remove
- Serve warm.
Chef Jim Coleman
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.