This post may contain affiliate links. Please see our
Steamed Beijing Cake
- 4 large eggs
- 1/3 cup cold water
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- Separate the yolks from the whites.
Beat the whites until stiff. Beat the yolks with water and vanilla
- Blend the flour, baking powder and cinnamon. Add
sugar and sift.
- Spray the bottom and sides of an 8-inch round
cake pan with nonstick spray.
- In a large saucepot with a
rack, heat 2 quarts of water until it comes to a boil.
- Mix the flour mixture into the egg yolk mixture. Fold in the beaten
egg whites into the batter. Pour into the cake pan.
- Place the pan on the rack in the saucepot over the boiling water. Cover
and steam for 25 minutes or until a thin knife comes out clean.
- Remove the pan and place a plate over the pan and flip to remove
- Serve warm.
Chef Jim Coleman