Sweet and Sour Fish
(Tien Shuen Yu)
Serve with hot cooked rice and hot jasmine tea.
- 2 medium carrots, cut diagonally into thin slices
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 1/2 pounds fish fillets, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup vinegar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 (15 1/4 ounce) can pineapple chunks
- 1 medium green bell pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- Vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup water
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- Heat carrots and water to boiling. Cover and cook until crisp-tender,
8 to 10 minutes.
- Pat fish dry.
- Mix brown sugar, vinegar, cornstarch
and soy sauce in 2-quart saucepan. Stir in carrots (with cooking
liquid), pineapple (with syrup) and green pepper. Heat to boiling,
stirring constantly. Boil and stir 1 minute. Keep warm.
- Heat 1 to 1 1/2 inches oil to 360 degrees F.
- Prepare Batter. Dip
fish into Batter with tongs. Allow excess batter to drip back into
bowl. Fry 7 or 8 pieces at a time until golden brown, about 1 minute
on each side; drain. Arrange on platter; pour sauce over fish.
- Batter: Mix all ingredients.
Yields 6 servings.