Sweet and Sour Pork (China)
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 2 1/2 pounds lean pork chops
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 10 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 cups vegetable oil
- 1 large yellow onion
- 8 scallions
- 1 red or green bell pepper
- 4 ounces fresh mushrooms
- 2 stalks celery
- 1 medium cucumber
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 can pineapple chunks in syrup
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 3 tablespoons tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- Trim chops, discarding
fat and bones. Cut pork into 1-inch pieces. Mix soy sauce, sherry,
sugar and egg yolk in large glass bowl. Mix in pork. Cover and let
stand 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Drain pork, reserving
soy sauce mixture. Coat pork with 8 tablespoons of the cornstarch.
- Heat the 3 cups oil in wok over high heat until it reaches 375 degrees
F. Cook 1/2 of the pork in oil until brown, about 5 minutes. Drain
on absorbent paper. Cook and drain remaining pork.
- Cut yellow
onion into thin slices. Cut scallions into thin diagonal slices.
Remove seeds from pepper and chop coarsely. Clean mushrooms and
cut into halves or quarters. Cut celery into 1/2-inch diagonal slices.
Cut cucumber lengthwise into quarters and remove seeds. Cut cucumber
into 1/4-inch wide pieces.
- Heat the 3 tablespoons oil in wok over
high heat. Add all the prepared vegetables to oil. Stir fry 3 minutes.
- Drain pineapple, reserving syrup. Add the syrup, reserved soy
sauce mixture, vinegar and tomato sauce to vegetables.
- Combine water
and remaining 2 tablespoons cornstarch. Add to vegetables. Cook
and stir until sauce boils and thickens. Add pork and pineapple.
Cook and stir until hot throughout.
Makes 6 servings.
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Asian Recipes