This post may contain affiliate links. Please see our
Sweet and Spicy Szechuan Asparagus
- 2 pounds fresh asparagus, ends discarded
- 1/4 cup soy sauce, low sodium
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar, unseasoned
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon red chili flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground white pepper
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoons fresh ginger, minced
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds, toasted
- Cut asparagus into 3 inch pieces on the diagonal. In a small
bowl whisk together soy sauce, rice vinegar, sugar, chili flakes
and pepper. Set aside.
- Heat a large sauté pan over high heat. Add 1/2 cup water and
asparagus. Cover and cook until asparagus is still crisp to the
bite, about 2 to 3 minutes. Uncover and pour off any remaining
- Add oil, garlic and ginger to the pan with asparagus. Sauté
until lightly browned. Add soy sauce mixture. Bring to a boil.
Cook until the sauce coats the asparagus. Sprinkle in toasted
- Transfer to a serving platter. Serve immediately.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the California Asparagus Commission.