Vegetarian Egg Rolls
- 1 package egg roll wrappers
- Sesame oil
- 1 cup celery, finely chopped
- 1 onion, small, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup cabbage, finely shredded
- 1 cup mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1 green pepper, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup water chestnuts, finely chopped
- 1 cup sprouts, bean or seed, fresh
- 1/4 cup soybeans, dry cooked and pureed
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 1/2 cups brown rice, cooked
- In a wok or frying pan sauté the vegetables
in sesame oil in the order given. After the onion has started sautéeing,
add the remaining vegetables quickly so that the total time
with the heat on is about 5 minutes. As soon as you add the bean
sprouts to the pan, turn off the heat.
- Stir the pureed soybeans
and soy sauce together. Then stir this mixture into the vegetables.
The whole mixture may be chilled several hours, or used warm. To
prepare the rolls: place about 1/4 cup filling in the center of
each pancake or egg roll wrapper; fold the corners over envelope-style
and seal with a flour-water paste.
- Heat a large frying pan
with oil in the bottom. Fry the rolls until they are crisp and brown,
turning only once. You may deep fry the rolls if you are into deep
frying, but they are better cooked only in a little oil. Drain on
paper bags or towels.
- Keep the rolls hot in a 250 degrees
F oven up to an hour. Or reheat them at 450 degrees F for about
Posted by WingsFan91 at Recipe Goldmine 7/19/01 5:08:59 am.