Yip Jai (Steamed Dumplings)
- 12 ti leaves for wrapping
- 2 pounds sweet rice flour
- 3 1/3 cups water
- 2 cups grated fresh coconut
- 1 cup chopped peanuts
- 2 cups chopped char siu
- 1 cup shredded jicama
- 4 stalks green onion, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Mix flour with water in a large bowl. Mix and knead until dough is workable.
Wash ti leaves and cut out the tough vein back. Cut leaves into
2 x 5-inch pieces. Oil with vegetable oil on both sides. Set aside.
- Make filling of choice.
- Take a piece of dough the size
of a golf ball. Roll and flatten this in your hand. Put 2 tablespoons
filling in the center. Wrap the ti leaf around outside, leaving
the top open. Secure with a wooden pick, if necessary. Place in
a greased bamboo steamer. Steam over boiling water for 15 minutes.
Makes approximately 20 dumplings for each pound of flour.