Caribbean Coco-Almond Bars
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, chilled and cut into small pieces
- 3/4 cup toasted and finely chopped almonds (about 3 ounces)*
- 1 tablespoon dark rum**
- 1 1/2 cups medium shred unsweetened coconut***
- 1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons dark rum
- 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate (at least 60% cocoa), chopped
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream or evaporated milk
- Additional 1 cup shredded coconut and/or sliced almonds
* To toast almonds, place nuts in a single layer in an ungreased shallow pan.
Bake at 350 degrees F for 5 to 10 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from pan
** Fruit juice (such as orange juice) may be substituted for dark rum.
*** Unsweetened coconut can be found at many specialty and health food stores.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Line an 8 x 8-inch square pan with heavy-duty
foil that extends over edges of pan; butter foil.
- In a food processor fitted with a metal blade or in a large bowl with a pastry
blender, combine first 5 ingredients; add butter in small intervals while mixing
until texture resembles coarse cornmeal. Add nuts and rum; blend.
- Press dough firmly and evenly into pan. Bake until crust deflates (it will puff
at first) and edges are barely firm to touch, about 15 minutes. Cool slightly on
- As crust cools, blend filling ingredients together in a bowl. When crust is firm
and still warm, spoon on filling; spread evenly. Return pan to oven and bake until
edges turn golden, about 15 minutes. Remove and cool in pan on wire rack.
- Make chocolate layer by combining all ingredients in a small saucepan over low
heat or microwave-safe bowl. Heat (in 30 second intervals, if in microwave) while
whisking until melted and smooth. Pour hot topping over filling; spread evenly.
If desired, sprinkle coconut and/or almonds evenly over top while chocolate layer
is still hot.
- Refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight before bringing to room temperature and
cutting into bars.
Recipe and photo credit (used with permission):
Dairy Farmers of Wisconsin
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Caribbean Recipes