Caribbean Roast Chicken with
Pineapple and Sweet Potatoes
- 1 whole chicken, giblets and neck removed
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons Caribbean Jerk Seasoning spice mix
- 3 fresh limes
- 8 sprigs cilantro
- 1 (20 ounce) can chunk pineapple, drained reserving 1/2 cup of liquid
- 3 sweet potatoes, cut into 2-inch chunks
- 1/4 cup dark rum (or chicken stock)
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In small bowl, combine brown sugar and jerk seasoning. Rub mixture all over outside
of chicken. Cut one lime into quarters; insert into chicken cavity. Add cilantro
sprigs to chicken cavity. Place chicken in roasting pan and surround with pineapple
chunks. Place in oven and roast for 45 minutes.
- While chicken is roasting, juice two remaining limes. Remove chicken from oven;
add sweet potatoes, rum, chicken stock and lime juice to pan. Return to oven and
roast for another 45 minutes to one hour, or until internal temperature in thickest
part of the thigh reaches 180 degrees F.
- Remove chicken from oven and place on sheet pan. Tent with foil to keep warm.
Remove pineapple and sweet potatoes from pan and reserve. Pour sauce in pan into
serving dish; add chopped cilantro.
- To serve, carve chicken or place whole chicken on platter. Surround with sweet
potato/ pineapple mixture and pass with sauce.
Nutrition Information, Per Serving: 390 calories; 14 g fat; 4 g saturated
fat; 32 g carbohydrate; 3 g fiber; 20 g sugars; 30 g protein
Recipe and photo credit (used with permission): National Chicken Council
Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Caribbean Recipes