Chicken in Rice (Barbados)
- 1 large chicken
- 1 lime or lemon
- 4 pints water
- 2 pints rice
- 1 teaspoon
- 1 ounce butter
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 bunch herbs, bagged
pint meat stock
- 1/4 pound onions
- 1/4 pound tomatoes
- Wash chicken. Leave sitting in refrigerator with a little salt for an hour.
- Cook chicken in 4 pints water for 1/2 hour.
- Pick and wash rice and add to chicken. Add herbs, 1/2 sliced lemon and stock.
Cook rice and chicken until all the water has been absorbed.
- Remove lemon slices.
- Make sauce as follows: Use sliced onions, tomatoes, butter, mustard and juice
of 1/2 lemon. Cook for 5 minutes together.
- Remove chicken from rice and dissect. Pile rice and chicken (you may also add
chopped cooked giblets at this point) on large dish. Garnish with sauce.
- Serve hot with a raw vegetable salad.
Please shop Amazon here. We are an Amazon affiliate to help defray expenses in maintaining this site. Thank you.